Friday, November 20, 2009

Wow. I uh, wow, thank you.

So a co-worker of mine just came out to me last night.  Granted I already knew, but the fact that he trusted me enough (after only knowing me 2 weeks) to come out to me personally was an interesting feeling.  I could tell he is still a bit uncomfortable with saying it outloud, but I think the transaction went well.



"So, we're cool right? I mean I could see us hanging out for a long time, you know?"

"Yep.  Why?"

"Cause there's probably something I should tell you, I want to tell you.  I mean you probably already know, you're in my head all the damn time.  How in the hell do you do that anyway?"

"Magic."

"Right.  So..."

"Yeah I know.  You're cool, I'm cool, we're cool.  Now can you pass the popcorn?"


And just like that, we're solid.  We talked for a long time afterwards, about everything and nothing.  I feel very blessed that he chose to entrust me with this.  I imagine it's not easy at all choosing who to tell.  Sometimes you may think you know what the reaction will be, but it can turn out very differently. 

The strangest part was not that I felt the need, the obligation to reciprocate the trust by telling him about me, as one usually feels when someone reveals themselves to you.  It was that I wanted to reciprocate.  That is not something I feel often, the urge to share.  Really and truly share.  It was weird, foreign, but it also felt right. And I can really see us becoming good friends, lasting friends.  Which would normally scare me, allowing someone to get so close so quickly.  But I feel like he's ok.  He would never hurt me intentionally, if ever at all.  Only time will tell, but I think I'm right on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment