Monday, November 9, 2009

Points for the pointless

Weighing on my mind lately has been the struggles my brothers and sisters have been going through.  Their own families withdrawing their love, compassion, loyalty, and respect.  I am unable to truly imagine what they must feel, but I can speculate.  Pain, anger, fear, sadness.   But I would think what one would feel most of all is betrayal.  These people are your blood, shared their lives with you, they are supposed to love you unconditionally.  But it turns out to be a lie.  It's unconditional as long as you love who they say it's "ok" for you to love. 


This is what baffles me.  How does who you love affect who you've always been, who they've always known?  It doesn't.  But suddenly they are being looked at as an outsider, a disgrace, an "abomination".   Someone's dirty secret to be tucked away and never spoken of. 

I don't understand how you can just throw someone away all because of who they are attracted to.  Sure you may not like it or understand it, no one said you had to.  BUT, you should accept that they know what's best for themselves, that they KNOW who they are, and respect that.  I'm not saying you have to immediately jump up and join PFLAG, go to every meeting and rally.  But is it so hard to at least keep giving them your love? 

Furthermore this whole "is it a phase?, you're just confused" business that people always spew back is ridiculous.  Think about it.  These people in your lives have most likely been dealing with a whole gamut of emotions that you can't even comprehend.  And by the time they are telling you face to face, trust me, THEY ARE SURE.  No one just wakes up one morning, "decides" to be gay, then tells their families about it that night over a casual dinner at the Olive Garden inbetween discussing reality TV, and the weather.  (The word IDIOT comes to mind, but I am trying not to engage in namecalling which ultimately does nothing.)

I am fortunate enough to have a very liberal and understanding mother, father and brother.  I'm not gay, but I am most assuredly pretty off the wall, and they let me be.  Not that I need their approval.  It's neither desired nor required, but they do still love me and support me.  I just wish my brothers and sisters could have the same. 

I want them to be able to get married to the person they love, have children, and share their lives in peace and happiness. 

In this broken world I find it hard to understand why people would want to deny anyone love.  To tell them their love isn't worth as much as the next person.  That it is in fact disgusting and not love at all, but rather an illness.  Their love is defective and therefore not valid. 


Well I have to say to you, I think your inability to love thy fellow men & women is disgusting.  I think YOU are the one who is sick.  And I pity you.  For those who would shun anyone because of who they love, I feel great sorrow as well.  You are missing out on some of the loveliest people in exisistance. 

Call me biased, skewed, whatever you will.  I really don't care.  But I do care that my brothers and sisters are hurting in ways that no one should ever have to.


I guess this is verging on rambling.  And maybe I'm the one who's pointless.  Sometimes you just have to say what you have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment