Friday, October 9, 2009

The shape of things to come...

Once again I find myself unable to sleep. Not an unusual occurrance, just an annoying one.  These fluffy pillows and velvety comforter are doing absolutely nothing for me at this point.  I was tired, incredibly so.  However, the minute I laid my head on the aforementioned fluffy pillow I was instantly awake.  I guess this is the price I pay for always having so much in my head.  It can be a bit difficult to turn off at times.  I have to be awake in 2 hours, and at this point I don't really see attempting sleep as something feasable.  So I just lay here, type, and listen. 

Listen and type. 

It's so quiet I swear I can hear everything going on in the world.  My neighbor is stumbling around his house getting ready for work.  It occurs to me I haven't the slightest clue what he does, I just know he gets up REALLY early to go do it.  By the time he's actually ready to leave, he will only be marginally more awake than he is now.  He'll emerge from his home freshly showered, travel coffee-mug in hand, bleary eyed as hell, and his tie on crooked.  ( I assume he fixes it before he gets to his final destination, but I really don't know.)  The faint "woosh" of an airplane overhead.  I wonder if it's coming or going.  Who on it is sad to have left wherever, and who is excited to have escaped it.  Some nocturnal creature is nibbling on the foliage beneath my window.  I can hear it rustling around, trying to get it's fill before the sun comes up.  The low, dull whir of the fan that resides in my laptop.  The staccato clicks and clacks of the keys as my fingers caress them. 

The steady tha-thump going on inside my chest.  Even.  Rhythmic.  Beautiful.  Limited and Limitless.

Maybe not being able to sleep isn't a bad thing afterall.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete